Another Original Tomboy

Many have commented in One of the Originals asking "and what about Katharine Hepburn?" Did you have so little faith in me to not include her at all? Of course I couldn't and was merely trying to save the best for the last. While I totally dig and adore Dietrich's "I-don't-care-what-you-think-but-I-know-I-look-hot" attitude, there is something just so approachable and pleasant about Hepburn and the way she dresses that is so utterly appealing. It's amazing that though the two both similarly wear menswear, they give off entirely different vibes. Hepburn feels so quintessentially American in her plucky, chipper, can-do spirit as opposed to Dietrich's more worldly, glamorous, European approach. They both have same natural ease towards menswear yet the overall end results are so different. This only further proves that it is much more about the individual personality than what the person is really wearing (though that still matters).
Personally for what is appropriate for my current age and occupation as a full-time student, I identify with Hepburn more than Dietrich. I tend to associate Hepburn more with daytime wear and Dietrich with the night. I simply only need to be comfortable (though preferably still looking good) for class. Certainly depending on the woman herself, can choose to have an even mix of influences from the two icons or even just Dietrich. Furthermore, I just adore how unfussy (though not unkempt) Hepburn is. Though now the "effortless" style is all the rage, she was modern and way ahead of her time to be so carefree and relaxed in her approach to dressing. There's no calculated false pretenses, but only out just to have fun.

"I never lose sight of the fact that just being is fun"

11 comments:

Sarah Et Paris said...

Beautiful Katherine Hepburn, those eyes and cheekbones! I've only seen her in one movie and i thought cate blanchette did a great job portraying her in the aviator!

Unknown said...

wow, I'm in love with this post....really congrats, great photos selection;)!

kisses,
http://lensanythingelse.blogspot.com/

Jada said...

I remember doing a presentation project on Katharine Hepburn in the 5th grade, and I fell in love with her ever since <3 Such a classy lady!

Aya Smith said...

She really was AMAZING, wasn't she? Her hair, her face, her character... so classic. Also, Lana Del Ray is amazing too, I could listen to that song 100 times in one sitting :)

Aya ♥ Strawberry Koi

alexandra grecco said...

love love love : )

xx
Alexandra

Ella said...

such a great post! love katherine!

Alice said...

i really enjoyed these photos! and i love that song.

laura tj said...

love your blog concept, a new awesome reading for me :) subscribe! oh and thanks for visiting my blog :D

Ballad of Seasons said...

awesome lady! I love these photos and this post!
xoxo, Betül

http://balladofseasons.blogspot.com

Annushka said...

WOW!!! Rare))I like your post, your blog is very interesting))

Elizabeth said...

What a lovely collection of photographs! I'm impressed!